Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sub Stop Cafe

SUB STOP CAFE
7249 NW 4th Blvd
(352) 332-1599

I went to the Sub Stop Cafe after mailing some things at the Postal Center next door (side note: if you ever need to mail anything without the long lines of the post office, check them out). Walking in, the place smelled delicious. It had a strange vibe to it though, as the wallpaper and wood accents made it seem more like a kitchen from the 70s than a sub place. The menu was pretty expansive and covered the whole wall with sections for both hot and cold subs. It was a good thing I had never been there before and didn't know what I wanted, because I waited about 2 minutes at the counter with only one person ahead of me before someone got to me. I ordered a 12 inch Philly cheesesteak ($8.09), and was asked if I wanted it on white or wheat, which is always a plus (I go for wheat whenever available); both were clearly freshly baked. I couldn't quite see over the counter, but steak, onions, and peppers were put into a large bowl and stuck in a microwave for about a minute and a half. I didn't see if the steak was precooked and presliced and just being reheated or what. The bread was put into an open toaster with the cheese on it. I noticed a tray of brownies and cookies by the register, wrapped in Saran wrap and clearly homemade. At 94 cents, I took a brownie. The food was brought out to me about two minutes later on a tray with a peppermint. The steak was slightly pink still, which is not how I like it, and it tasted like prepackaged Steak Ums - not terrible but not all that great. They did however have a great method for toasting the bread and cheese, as the cheese was nice and gooey and the bread wasn't burnt but had a nice crisp to it. The brownie, though...I'd go back just for the brownie. At a dollar including tax it might be the best brownie I've ever had. The cookies looked just as good and were the same price. It alone keeps the food quality from being a 5, and I also don't think I should hold the fact that I don't like pink steak against them, since that IS the norm for most people.

Food quality: 6/10 (18)
Service: 7.5/10 (18.75)
Ambiance: 7/10 (14)
Pricing: 7.5/10 (11.25)
Menu selection: 8/10 (8)

Composite score: 70

No comments: